The Hindu believe:
We can experience the infinite because our real nature is infinite as well. The real nature of all that we see in the world is infinite. Our real nature is beyond words, beyond all mental conceptions.
At the same time we experience ourselves as finite indeed: "I am so tall (short) , I am so fat (skinny) , I am really good at this, I am really bad at that , I really love this... I really hate that... On and on we find infinite ways to put limits on our infinite self.
To the Hindu sages much of what we call spiritual life is just discovering who we really are. As we advance along the path our idea of our self can change dramatically and even when we take our first conscious steps on the path we can get a strong indication that we are by nature something far greater than we ever imagined. The more conscious we are of making decision that will expand our sense of self, the more we take responsibility for our own growth, the more direct and straightforward our path will be.
Vivekananda tells us that every thought we think, every word we speak, our every action is creating an impression on our mind-stuff and that our character is the sum total of all those impressions. Who we are as a human being is just the sum total of all those little impressions we have been putting into our mind , moment to moment all through our lives. The mind understanding the power of thought, chooses to think good thoughts, noble thoughts, thought for the welfare of those around us and the whole world, chooses to listen or play uplifting music, read (or write) uplifting books, watch (or make) uplifting movies, associate with uplifting people; chooses to smile and remain joyful and kind in the face of adversity. We have the power to choose each and every moment to fill our hearts with love, kindness, truth and goodness. What an incredible gift that is to the world. What an incredible gift that is to yourself!
No comments:
Post a Comment